When we found this vintage, handmade quilt made from over 300 ties, we were drawn to it for two very different reasons.
1) When one side of our family first immigrated to the US several generations ago, with nothing in their pockets, they started a tie manufacturing business that ended up becoming so successful that it created ties for presidents. So, ties are very symbolic to us as a reminder of where we come from.
2) On a completely different note, ties are hot. And you know what's hotter than wearing one tie? Wearing 50.
The hues of the ties included in the original quilt are classy and retro, showing off many patterns and aesthetics, and because of the way we cut and sew the ties on the sides of the crewneck, they rise up which elongates the torso for a flattering fit.
There's only enough fabric to make 10-12 pieces total, so if you want one, hit that "add to cart" button quick! Because each piece is handmade-to-order, please allow us 1-2 weeks before shipping.
This crewneck is handmade in a WRAP-Certified, sweatshop-free (as do all of our products), windmill-powered facility. The original quilt is also handmade of retro ties and all alterations are made by hand in Los Angeles.
• 400gsm Heavyweight Organic Cotton with brushed interior
• 100% Organic Cotton double-folded flat knit cotton ribbing
• Reverse flatlock stitching to reduce bulk and increase durability
• 4" wide, double folded, flat-knit side ribbing with quilted accents
• Pre-shrunk and treated to ensure minimal shrinkage
Since each of these pieces is 100% handmade-to-order, they can be exchanged for store credit only.
We’re a sustainable, genderless clothing brand that celebrates collective values, ancestries and cultures, while simultaneously celebrating our unique, individual selves - both holding enormous importance in our lives.
In that sense, bubuleh is about escape and belonging all at once. We’re the halfway point between that feeling of warmth and security that comes with being around close friends and family in your comfort zone, and that risk and excitement that comes when you step out of that comfort zone.
We strive to create plotz-worthy fashion by putting older practices, ideas and aesthetics into conversation with newer ones. Though we derive our inspiration from Jewish heritage, culture, and Yiddish, we intentionally craft our clothing for everyone to wear.